The John Bell Health Center is a comprehensive healthcare clinic that provides state-of-the-art primary medical care to adults age 18 and older.
Existing patients of the Lax Center, John Bell Health Center, and YHEP can now be seen on a walk-in basis for urgent health issues, Monday through Friday, between the hours of:
- 9:00 am to 11:00 am
- 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm
If you are experiencing symptoms concerning COVID-19, we ask that you please call ahead.
The John Bell Health Center provides a safe space for people to access culturally competent, comprehensive primary medical care, regardless of the individual’s insurance status, ability to pay, or life circumstances. Our team of compassionate providers focus on addressing each patient’s unique needs and challenges.
- Practitioner Examination
- Medical History
- Diagnostic Testing
- Age Appropriate Cancer Screening
- Routine Screening for Sexually Transmitted Infections, HIV, Hepatitis B and C with treatments as indicated
- Screening and Preventative Care for Diabetes and Hypertension
- Mental Health Screening and Referral
- Nutrition Education
- Smoking Cessation
- Referrals for Specialty Care
- Cervical and breast cancer screening
- Case Management
- Community Health Worker services
- Behavioral Health Consultant
- PrEP Counseling/ PrEP Assistance Program services
- Rapid Hepatitis C & HIV Testing onsite
Monday through Friday 9 am to 5 pm.
If you are a patient of the John Bell Health Center or the health center at Broad Street Ministry and have an urgent medical question that cannot wait until the next business day, you can reach our after-hours line by calling 267-725-0252.
The John Bell Health Center allows same-day scheduling as well as walk-ins, while those who are able to adhere to appointments are encouraged to do so.
Philadelphia FIGHT is registered as a BenePhilly Center. The John Bell Health Center has a counselor on staff that can help assist individuals looking to apply for public benefits. Our counselors can assist with the following:
- Food Stamps
- State Property Tax/Rent Rebate
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
“Half of your rights haven’t been written yet, because you haven’t been here to demand them.”
This program is partially funded by DCED, through the Mayor’s Office of Community Empowerment and Opportunity.
John Bell (1946-2012)
John Bell was an AIDS activist, mentor to a generation of former prisoners, teacher, and friend. John took his lived experiences of racism, stigma, war, and disease and transformed them into an inspirational body of thought and knowledge to help make the way easier for the people who came behind him. It is in his memory that we have built this health center.