Opportunity Type: Job
Reports to: Practice Coordinator
The John Bell Health Center, FQHC site of Philadelphia FIGHT’s Community Health Centers, is a comprehensive medical clinic that provides primary health care to adults ages 18 and older. The John Bell Health Center was established to provide care to individuals living with chronic health conditions as a result of socio-economic factors including a history of incarceration. Our mission is to provide a safe space for people to access culturally competent health care regardless of their insurance status or ability to pay. Co-located with a prevention-focused program, Institute for Community Justice, the John Bell Health Center supports and cares for people affected by the parallel crises of HIV and mass imprisonment.
The ideal candidate will take a trauma-informed and harm-reduction approach to health care.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Phlebotomy (Primary Role)
- Phlebotomy with specimen collection and processing
- Administer injections and vaccinations
- Perform clinical tasks: i.e. EKG, oxygen set-up, blood glucose monitoring, urine dipsticks and pregnancy testing.
- Document all activities appropriately in the electronic medical record system
- Manage ordering and distribution of vaccines as well as ordering of phlebotomy supplies
- Stock exam rooms.
- Removal of biohazard waste materials.
Medical Reception (Secondary Role)
- Greet Patients and Visitors
- Answering/ Triaging phones calls
- Scheduling, changing, and cancelling patient appointments using electronic practice management program.
- Scanning of medical records in to the electronic medical record system.
- Manage patient flow including triaging walk ins.
- Confirm next day appointments
- Make calls to reschedule appointments when necessary
Function in a team
- Work in compliance with all medical policies.
- Work in compliance with standards such as OSHA, HIPAA, CLIA and funding body regulations
- Demonstrate commitment to clinical care and confidentiality
- Provide cross-coverage at 3 other health centers on an as needed basis
- Exercise good judgment in bringing any issues necessary to the attention of the Practice Coordinator.
- Constantly strives to achieve excellence in the day-to-day operations of the John Bell Health Center
Diploma from an accredited medical assistant program.
1. Certified Medical Assistant or Registered Medical Assistant
2. Within 30 days of hire, complete training in Blood borne pathogens, Post exposure prophylaxis, CLIA, and HIPAA regulations.
General knowledge base in science, medicine, and the running of a medical clinic. Demonstrate the ability to understand the overall purpose of clinical care and importance of support staff.
Must be able to demonstrate judgment, patience, integrity, organization, and prioritization in multi-task environment. Needs to have attention to detail, dependability, listening and communication skills, and flexibility. Must have cultural competency. Needs to be competent in the use of Electronic Medical Record Systems.
Competitive, benefits included. Non-exempt
Initial probationary period is three months. Performance of other tasks may be assigned on an as-needed basis.
FIGHT is an EEO, Affirmative Action, LGBTQ, and people living with HIV/AIDS and protected veterans institutionApply for This Job