Opportunity Type: Job
FIGHT Program: John Bell Health Center
Reports to: Broad Street Ministry Program Manager
Philadelphia FIGHT was founded as an AIDS Service Organization and is now a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC). FIGHT has been providing primary care for people living with HIV/AIDS and those at high risk of acquiring HIV since 1990. Our programs are team- centered, and offer a multi-disciplinary approach that in addition to clinical care, offers access to behavioural health, substance abuse services, a wide range of educational program, and HIV testing. The John Bell Health Center (JBHC) was established to provide care to individuals living with chronic health conditions as a result of socio-economic factors including a history of incarceration. Our mission is to provide a safe space for people to access culturally competent health care regardless of their insurance status or ability to pay. Broad Street Ministry (BSM) was established in 2005 as a not-for-profit corporation with a goal of providing a social impact to the homeless community and in 2012 formed the Hospitality Collaborative to form a healthier community. FIGHT has a long standing relationship with BSM where we have participated in their Hospitality Collaborative since 2014 and in 2017 became community partners placing a medical clinic within BSM’s drop-in space. The ideal candidate will take a trauma-informed and harm-reduction approach to homeless health care.
HoursMonday- Friday – hours will vary
Tasks and Responsibilities
Medical Assistant (Primary Role)
- Greet Patients and Visitors
- Check in patient which includes
- Collecting paperwork
- Updating demographic information
- Verifying insurance
- Collecting payment
- Scheduling, changing, and cancelling patient appointments using electronic practice management program.
- Scanning of medical records in to the electronic medical record system.
- Managing a waiting list of guests within a homeless drop-in center ensuring all patients are being processed appropriately.
- Manage patient flow including triaging walk-ins.
- Generation of referrals and prior authorizations to outside medical providers.
- Confirm next day appointments.
- Work with the Liaison to the BSM Clinic to ensure all guests attend their appointments at BSM and at other medical offices including the 4 other Philadelphia FIGHT FQHC locations.
Phlebotomy and Supply Assistant
- Phlebotomy with specimen collection and processing
- Administer injections and vaccinations
- Perform clinical tasks: i.e. EKG, oxygen set-up, blood glucose monitoring, urine dipsticks and pregnancy testing.
- Document all activities appropriately in the electronic medical record system
- Manage ordering and distribution of vaccines as well as ordering of phlebotomy supplies
- Stock exam rooms.
- Removal of biohazard waste materials.
Function in a team
- Work in compliance with all medical policies.
- Work in compliance with standards such as OSHA, HIPAA, CLIA and funding body regulations.
- Demonstrate commitment to clinical care and confidentiality.
- Work collaboratively with the clinic team at BSM and the hospitality team of BSM.
- Provide cross-coverage at 4 other health centers on an as needed basis.
- Exercise good judgment in bringing any issues necessary to the attention of the Program Manager of BSM and/or the Practice Coordinator of JBHC.
- Constantly strives to achieve excellence in the day-to-day operations of the FIGHT clinic at Broad Street Ministry.
- Must be flexible and be able to work in two different clinics with different teams, within a 40 hour work week.
Diploma from an accredited medical assistant program.
- Certified Medical Assistant or Registered Medical Assistant
- Within 30 days of hire, complete training in Blood borne pathogens, Post exposure prophylaxis, CLIA, and HIPAA regulations.
General knowledge base in science, medicine, and the running of a medical clinic. Demonstrate the ability to understand the overall purpose of clinical care and importance of support staff. Must have a desire to serve the underserved with quality healthcare.
Must be able to demonstrate judgment, patience, integrity, organization, and prioritization in multi-task environment. Needs to have attention to detail, dependability, listening and communication skills, and flexibility. Must strive to be culturally competent. Needs to be competent in the use of Electronic Medical Record Systems.
- Ability to continuously stand, walk or sit.
- Ability to bend, climb stairs frequently.
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds infrequently.
- Ability to squat occasionally.
- Ability to walk ½ mile continuously.
Initial probationary period is three months. Performance of other tasks may be assigned on an as-needed basis.Apply for This Job