Opportunity Type: Job
FIGHT Program: John Bell Health Center
Philadelphia FIGHT is an AIDS Service Organization that recently became a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC). We have been providing primary care for people living with HIV/AIDS and those at very high risk since 1990. Our program is a team-centered, multi-disciplinary approach that in addition to clinical care, offers access to behavioural health and substance abuse services, a wide range of educational programs, HIV counselling and testing, and youth programs.
The John Bell Health Center, FQHC site of Philadelphia FIGHT’s Community Health Centers, is a comprehensive medical clinic that provides primary health care to adults ages 18 and older. The John Bell Health Center was established to provide care to individuals living with chronic health conditions as a result of socio-economic factors including a history of incarceration. Our mission is to provide a safe space for people to access culturally competent health care regardless of their insurance status or ability to pay. Co-located with a prevention-focused program, Institute for Community Justice, the John Bell Health Center supports and cares for people affected by the parallel crises of HIV and mass imprisonment.
The ideal candidate will take a trauma-informed and harm-reduction approach to health care.
HoursM-F 9:00 – 5:00
Tasks and Responsibilities
Medical Call Center Representative (Primary Role)
Schedule appointments for patients:
- Answer telephone promptly and in a polite professional manner
- Obtain and enter accurate demographic information in to electric medical record system
- Schedule appointments
- Inform caller of items to bring to appointment (including insurance card, medications, office visit fee and verification of income)
- Remind caller to arrive 15 to 30 minutes before scheduled appointment to complete paperwork
- Answer questions and offer information, as requested, to provide patient-focused service and a positive impression of the organization
- Confirm next day appointments
- Make calls to reschedule appointments when necessary
Act as liaison for patients and the Health Center
- Direct calls to other departments as needed and appropriately
- Use sound judgment in handling calls, especially with upset patients
- Understanding of when to escalate calls to nurses/physicians/practice manager.
- Generate urgent/emergent referrals
Medical Records (Secondary Role) –
- Assist providers in obtaining urgent reports from diagnostic exams, specialist consults and hospitalizations.
- Assist providers in activities such as completing paperwork and faxing forms.
- File necessary documents into medical charts in a timely and accurate fashion
- Request outside medical records
- Copy and send requests for our medical records to outside providers/agencies.
- Verifies identification of individual requesting medical records
- Obtains and confirms signed and verbal consent for medical records
- Scans all documents within 48 hours of receipt
- Manage tasks coming through patient portal.
Function in a team
- Work in compliance with all medical policies.
- Work in compliance with standards such as OSHA, HIPAA, CLIA and funding body regulations
- Demonstrate commitment to clinical care and confidentiality
- Provide cross-coverage at 3 other health centers on an as needed basis
- Provide cross-coverage for other positions with the Health Center
- Perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by supervisor or manager.
- Exercise good judgment in bringing any issues necessary to the attention of the Administrative Director.
- Constantly strive to achieve excellence in the day-to-day operations of the John Bell Health Center
Diploma from an accredited medical assistant program.
1. Certified Medical Assistant or Registered Medical Assistant (preferred)
2. Within 30 days of hire, complete training in Blood borne pathogens, Post exposure prophylaxis, CLIA, and HIPAA regulations.
General knowledge base in science, medicine, and the running of a medical clinic. Demonstrate the ability to understand the overall purpose of clinical care and importance of support staff.
Must be able to demonstrate judgment, patience, integrity, organization, and prioritization in multi-task environment. Needs to have attention to detail, dependability, listening and communication skills, and flexibility. Must have cultural competency. Needs to be competent in the use of Electronic Medical Record Systems.
Competitive, benefits included. Non-exempt.
Initial probationary period is three months.
- Ability to continuously stand, walk or sit.
- Ability to bend, climb stairs frequently.
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds infrequently.
- Ability to squat occasionally.
- Generally works in a clinical office environment but may occasionally be required to perform job duties outside of the typical clinical setting.
FIGHT is an EEO, Affirmative Action, LGBTQ, and people living with HIV/AIDS and protected veterans institutionApply for This Job