Opportunity Type: Job
FIGHT Program: Dental Services
Reports to: Kari Hexem DMD, Dental Director
Philadelphia FIGHT is an AIDS Service Organization that recently became a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC). We have been providing primary care for people living with HIV/AIDS and those at very high risk since 1990. Our program is a team-centered, multi-disciplinary approach that in addition to clinical care, offers access to behavioural health and substance abuse services, a wide range of educational programs, HIV counselling and testing, and youth programs. Philadelphia FIGHT Dental Services, our new dental program, provides culturally competent, non-judgmental, high quality dental care to both adult and pediatric patients, who are both HIV+ and HIV-, regardless of the ability to pay. In addition to dental care, Philadelphia FIGHT Dental Services connects patients with social services, resources, and insurance benefits.
HoursM-F 9:00 to 5:00
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Follows proper Standard Precautions while in decontamination and sterilization areas.
- Responsible for providing leadership and direction to dental assistants regarding compliance with sterilization and instrument management and PPE protocols.
- Communicate updates to protocols, provide ongoing training to dental assistants, and monitor compliance.
- Manage sterilization processes:
- Decontaminates and sterilizes instruments, dental supplies and equipment, and assembles, wraps and sterilizes trays of instruments.
- Monitors biological and chemical wash solution to ensure quality and consistency for decontamination of instruments and medical equipment.
- Sorts mismatched sets of instruments, trays, and medical equipment and makes them available to dental providers in a timely manner.
- Restocks, labels, and maintains inventory.
- Performs environmental maintenance duties and assists in maintaining inventory levels in sterile processing, the dental treatment rooms, and in equipment storage areas.
- Verifies that equipment functions properly.
- Maintains a clean work area.
- Assists with maintaining established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality improvement, safety, and environmental and infection control standards.
- Maintain patient confidence and protect operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protect patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Use sound judgment in patient communication, especially with upset patients.
- Provide backup for other auxiliary staff when needed
- Maintains and improves professional and technical knowledge.
- Works in compliance with all medical policies and with standards such as OSHA, HIPAA, CLIA and funding body regulations.
- Performs other reasonably related duties as assigned by supervisor or manager.
- Exercises good judgment in bringing any issues necessary to the attention of the supervising dentist or Dental Director.
- Constantly strives to achieve excellence in the day-to-day operations of Philadelphia FIGHT Dental Services.
- Is proficient in English
- Demonstrates the ability to understand the overall purpose of clinical care and importance of support staff.
- Able to demonstrate judgment, patience, integrity, organization, and prioritization in multi-task environment.
- Needs to have attention to detail, dependability, listening and communication skills, and flexibility.
- Prefer 1+ years’ of experience in a dental office.
Initial probationary period is three months.
- Occasional lifting of 40 – 50 lbs and pushing of 5-20 lbs
- Sitting, standing and walking approximately 80% of the time
- A medium to high level of manual dexterity required
- Bending and reaching approximately 20% of the time
- Normal accessibility and mobility required
- Normal overtime/extended work hours
Blood Borne Pathogen Exposure – Category 1 Job classification includes ALL employees who have occupational exposure* to blood borne pathogens* (blood or body fluids) while performing their job duties.Apply for This Job